In the world of card games, three is never a crowd!
Are you looking for card games for 3 people? From quick-paced action games to strategic endeavours, there’s a card game perfect for any trio.
Here are 17 card games that are ideal for 3 players:
- Crazy Eights: This classic game of shedding requires players to match the rank or suit of the previously played card. Special cards introduce unique rules, leading to a game that’s as unpredictable as it is fun. It’s simple to pick up, making it perfect for groups with varied skill levels.
- Gin Rummy: A popular variant of rummy, Gin Rummy is a game of strategy and luck. Players aim to form sets or runs of cards and ‘knock’ when the value of unmatched cards is low. It offers a great balance of challenge and accessibility, and games can become quite competitive.
- Shithead: Don’t let the unconventional name throw you off; Shithead is a dynamic card shedding game that’s easy to learn but hard to master. With a blend of luck and strategy, the objective is to be the first to discard all your cards. Tension builds as the game progresses, making each round exciting.
- Speed: True to its name, Speed is a high-energy, fast-paced game where quick thinking and faster reflexes give you the edge. The goal is to be the first to empty your hand and draw pile, making it an adrenaline-filled race to the finish.
- Garbage (or Trash): Garbage offers a unique gameplay twist. Players aim to fill a layout of cards from Ace through Ten. It’s easy to learn and offers a less competitive alternative, making it perfect for a relaxed game night.
- Screw Your Neighbour: This quick and engaging game is all about not having the lowest card in each round. The rules are straightforward, but there’s plenty of opportunity for strategic play, leading to a game that’s simple, fun, and subtly tactical.
- Slapjack: A game of speed and sharp reflexes, Slapjack is all about being the first to ‘slap’ the deck when a Jack is played. The goal is to win all the cards. It’s fast, it’s frantic, and it’s incredibly fun, making it a great way to inject some energy into your game night.
- Go Fish: A childhood classic, Go Fish is all about collecting sets of four cards. Its simplicity makes it a great starting point for newer players, while its reliance on memory gives it depth.
- Cambio: A game of secrets and strategy, Cambio keeps players on their toes as they aim to have the hand with the lowest value. Perfect for players who enjoy a mental challenge.
- Rummy: A game of grouping, Rummy requires players to form sets and sequences with their cards. The first one to use all their cards wins, leading to a game that’s as strategic as it is suspenseful.
- Spades: In this trick-taking game, strategy is king. Players must bid on the number of tricks they think they can take, then work with their partner to make their bid.
- Hearts: Another trick-taking game, but this one you want to avoid taking certain tricks! Ideal for those looking for a blend of strategy and chance.
- Blackjack: While typically a casino game, you can also play a friendly game of Blackjack at home. Players aim to get their hand’s value as close to 21 as possible without going over.
- Old Maid: This matching game is all about not being left with the ‘Old Maid’. It’s a fun and fast game that requires a bit of strategy and a lot of luck.
- Skat: Skat is a 3 player trick-taking game where players bid to take more than half of the total points in a round. It is one of the most popular card games in Germany.
- Ninety-Nine: This trick-taking game involves some mental arithmetic, with each player bidding by discarding three cards, each card representing the number of tricks they will take.
- Pinochle: Another trick-taking game, Pinochle involves exchanging and collecting combinations of cards to score points. Its unique scoring system and gameplay make it a novel experience.
Each of these games brings its own flair to the table, offering different levels of complexity, game durations, and strategies.
Whether you’re in the mood for a quick game or a lengthy strategic battle, these games are ideal for trios. Happy gaming!